A delicious coffee cake using a recipe by Darina Allen (Ballymaloe).
For the Coffee Sponge Layers:
225g Caster Sugar
4 free range eggs
225g plain white flour
1 tsp baking powder
4-5 tablespoons of coffee & chicory essence
For the Coffee Butter Cream Filling:
110g icing sugar, sieved
1-2 tsp coffee essence
Beat all the above ingredients together until soft & fluffy.
For the Coffee Glace Icing:
225g icing sugar, sieved
1 tblsp coffee essence
2 tblsp boiling water
Put sieved icing sugar first in bowl then add in the essence and boiling water. Stir and combine until it is the consistency of thick cream, adding more boiling water if required.
Decoration: Whole or chopped walnuts
You will need: 2 × 20cm sandwich tins
METHOD for Sponge Layers
- Preheat oven to 180C / 350 F / Gas 4
- Brush tins with melted butter and line each with a disk of greaseproof / parchment paper.
- Cream butter until soft then add in the caster sugar. Keep beating until light & fluffy.
- Add eggs one at a time mixing well between each addition.
- Sieve in the flour and baking powder, folding gently into the mix.
- Finally add in the coffee essence and mix gently through.
- Spoon into prepared tins and bake for 25-30 mins in centre of the oven. When ready the centre will be firm to touch.
- Leave to cool in tins on a wire rack before turning out to cool fully.
- To assemble the cake, sandwich the cooled sponge layers together with the butter cream filling then top with the glace icing.
- Decorate with the nuts then enjoy!!